Our certified Organic Arenga Palm Sugar comes from the Arenga palm trees in the beautiful forests of Tomohon, Indonesia. This eco-friendly and fair trade palm sugar is produced by a Non-Government Organisation (NGO) called the Masarang Foundation, known for actively promoting environmental and wildlife conservation (including Orangutan’s), supporting local indigenous people and striving for a zero carbon footprint.
Through a reforestation project, the Masarang Foundation transformed these once barren and damaged Indonesian rainforests, into what it is today, a beautiful home to abundant native plants including the sugar palms. The revival of the forest and local productions like Arenga palm sugar has provided jobs for local people, created a new forest habitat for animals, improved supplies for the local community, positively impacting on local climate and educated locals on sustainable uses of forests.
Some of the eco-friendly practices established by the Masarang Palm Sugar factory include using waste steam from the power plant to heat the sugar palm sap. Check out this Masarang Palm Sugar Factory Youtube video!
The Masarang Foundation and the production of Arenga palm sugar has provided:
- Direct trade with local farmers, with all profits going direct to the farmer cooperative, giving a better outcome than Fair trade schemes.
- Over 6,000 farmers and their families are now benefiting from this project.
- Around 200,000 square metres of forest has been preserved.
- Biodiversity is promoted, with no monoculture farming permitted.
- The rainforest is protected – there is no cutting down of rainforest, preserving the natural habitat and old damaged areas are reforested.
- All wildlife (especially Orang-utans) is protected and nurtured.
- Geothermal steam is utilised, no trees are cut for fuel – the entire production process has zero waste, a carbon neutral footprint and minimal processing of the palm sugar occurs.
- The project has won international awards for its sustainable harvest.
Organic Arenga Palm Sugar
This is a natural low GI sugar, rich in colour with a sweet full bodied taste, nutty notes and caramel overtones. Arenga palm sugar is nature’s healthier alternative to refined sugars or artificial sweeteners!
The sugar is produced from the natural sap of the Arenga palm trees, which is harvested by a technique called “tapping,” a process which can actually help extend the life of the tree. The palm tree sap is then heated and reduced down to a concentrated form which hardens once cooled. This hard palm sugar is then crushed to form the sweet, rich palm sugar granules, still retaining the palm nectars natural aroma and flavour.
Palm sugar is a traditional ingredient in South East Asian cuisine, which can be used as a beverage sweetener or in Asian sweets, desserts, curries and sauces.
Organic Arenga Palm Sugar available at our online store in 9.5kg bags here, or in bulk gravity bins at our Alexandria Showroom here