Niugini Organics partners with small farm producers in Papua New Guinea (PNG) to link them with ethically minded organic food consumers in Australia. Honest to Goodness is proud to be able to distribute their products throughout Australia.
Niugini Organics was established by Simon Hodge in 2005, as a direct challenge to the 200 year old trade model of exporting PNG small holder farm produce as an unprocessed bulk commodity for a fraction of its ultimate value to processors around the globe. They initiated processing and packaging of raw organic produce in PNG, sold under one brand "Niugini Organics", ready for retail stores in Australia. This has resulted in much better conditions and returns to the producer and is of course, fair trade.
The first ever commercial shipment of organic virgin coconut oil from PNG direct to Australian retailers was completed in December 2008. This event was celebrated with the late Sir Ebia Olewale (pictured on behalf of the PNG farmers) officiating at a hand over ceremony to our first Australian retail customer. This was an exciting day for the people of Napapar in PNG.
Niugini Organic 100% Organic Virgin Coconut Oil is processed in PNG in a small modern plant, it is 100% organic, single origin, raw, unrefined, unbleached and undeodorised. Fresh from the shell, the coconut meat is quickly cold-pressed and left unrefined to preserve the natural nutritive essence of the coconut.
Today, under a fair trade scheme that ensures that the villagers are paid a fair price for their coconuts, our small holder plantations have been transformed into a happier, healthier and more prosperous place.
What does fair trade mean to the people of Napapar?
Those who are registered as suppliers to the plant receive..
- A guaranteed market for their coconuts, and therefore a guaranteed cash income to pay for school fees and living expenses.
- A price higher than the local average price.
- Transport of the nuts from their gardens to the plant by utility – the nuts are at their freshest and the farmer is paid on the day.
- A wheelbarrow to make harvesting easier (yes, a simple wheelbarrow is a serious investment for a subsistence farmer)
- Services of a local liaison officer who helps local farmers to maximise their crop and ensures organic practices are followed.
- A mobile phone which facilitates contact with the plant and can used by the farmer.(This may sound trivial, but there are very few telephone lines in PNG – this is why the Australian Pualian Mission is building a national radio network in remote areas, primarily for emergency medical response).
Niugini Organics PNG based mill and surrounding small holder plantations are certified by ORGANIC FOOD CHAIN. Niugini Organics VCO has travelled less food miles than any other - PNG is Australia's nearest neighbour! Your support of marginalised producers and communities helps them move from a position of vulnerability to security and economic self-sufficiency.
Buy choosing to buy Niugini Organic Coconut Oil & Organic Coconut Oil Soaps you can be part of this exciting transformation.