Coconut flour is a grain-free flour rich in nutrients which is produced from coconut flesh. It is becoming the go-to-flour for gluten free bakers, or those looking for a healthy alternative to any wheat based flours. Our organic coconut flour is made from certified organic coconuts from which the meat is dried, de-fatted and then finely ground into a powder.
Benefits of coconut flour
- Grain Free and Gluten Free alternative
- Suitable for coeliacs and those with a gluten intolerance.
- A great flour for any weight loss or healthy diet plan, being low carbohydrate, high in fibre, protein and good fats. Coconut flour keeps you fuller for longer!
- A natural source of essential nutrients like Lauric Acid, which supports a healthy immune system.
- Popular in grain-free diets such as Paleo or GAPS.
For those who have tried baking or cooking with coconut flour, there are some challenges you first face. It is a highly absorbant flour, so you do need to adjust the ratio of flour:liquid in the recipe. Otherwise you risk having a dry, crumbly baking disaster! We have some tips and recipe ideas below to start integrating this delightful flour into your diet.
Baking with coconut flour
Although coconut flour has a similar consistency to wheat flour, it definitely does not behave in the same way! So here are some tips to get you going on your coconut flour baking adventure...
- When replacing another flour in a recipe, the amount is not equivalent. Generally use 1/3 to 1/4 cup of coconut flour for every 1 cup of a grain-based flour.
- Every cup of coconut flour requires approximately 6 eggs and 1 cup of liquid (e.g. coconut milk/oil) to prevent it from being dry and crumbly.
- Whisk or combine the coconut flour well as it can be clumpy.
Organic Raw Cacao & Coconut Slice
This divine slice is similar to a brownie. The rich chocolate flavour is well balanced by the coconut and hazelnuts. A yummy gluten free chocolate treat! Download recipe here.
Banana Oat Protein Slice
This healthy high protein slice is a great snack to have for those on a healthy exercise or weight loss plan. It is super filling and provides essential nutrients post workout. Download recipe here.
Cooking with coconut flour
You can replace regular flour for the same ratio of coconut flour when using it for cooking. It is an easy gluten free alternative which can be used in:
- Sauces (a great thickener)
Gluten Free Crumbed Fish
Simply follow any basic crumbing recipe but replace the regular grain-free flour with coconut flour and replace crumbs with almond meal or ground almonds. This makes a beautiful crunchy crumb to your fish. For a healthier result, make sure you use organic coconut oil to fry the fish, delicious!!
Coconut flour can be used to bake a range of gluten-free breads. Check out this recipe which is a favourite of one Team Goodness member for Coconut Flour Tortillas.