At last week’s 2012 Better Business Awards, the team here at Honest to Goodness was recognised for our sustainable business practices, taking out the ‘Energy Saver’ award and ‘Better Business of the Year Runner-Up 2012!’
Sustainability is a big part of our business, driven by owner Matt Ward’s passion and expertise in sustainable agriculture, and is evident throughout all facets…from the sourcing of sustainable products, like our unique Biodynamic 100% Rainfed Brown Rice, to daily operations and staff education.
How we save on energy?
Energy efficiency for a small business can be a challenge, however there are always ways, no matter how big or small, to reduce your environmental impact and make a difference.
One of the major energy saving practices which won us the Energy Saver award was replacing halogen lights throughout the warehouse and showroom with energy efficient LED lighting.
Environmental benefits of LED lighting…
- Use less than 1/3 of the electricity than your average light bulb
- Last for up to 10 times longer
- Mercury free
- Poduce less heat than regular lighting, reducing need for air conditioning units in lit up areas.
We also switched off our office/warehouse hot water system, and instead use our kitchen kettle for hot water requirements such as washing dishes!
The Better Business Partnership estimates that these energy saving actions implemented have the potential to reduce a businesses’ carbon footprint by more than 20% which equates to an estimated 571 tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions, or approximately 132 cars off the road for a year.
We were also recognised for our overall commitment to sustainability, being awarded Runner-Up in the ‘Better Business of the Year 2012’. Some of the sustainable practices which won us this recognition include;
- All of our packaging and warehouse materials are recycled and biodegradable.
- We encourage customers to order and purchase food in bulk, minimising packaging and waste.
- Support and promotion of organic and fair trade industries.
- Sourcing and purchasing of organic, sustainable and locally grown products wherever possible.
- Using environmentally friendly cleaning products throughout the business.
- All marketing materials are printed on 100% recycled paper using vegetable inks.
As part of the Australian organic food industry, the team here at Honest to Goodness see it not only as a passion but as our role to lead the way in terms of sustainability. We’re strong believers in leading by example so we hope to inspire other Australian businesses to make small steps towards reducing their environmental impact!
Our in-house greenie, Lilli, will be sharing more of our green goals and tips here at Honest to Goodness! Stay tuned for Lilli’s upcoming blog on her recent green adventures…
Check out the Better Business Partnership website for more on this local initiative working with small businesses to improve their sustainability.