The Incaberry is a small native fruit to the high altitude tropical regions of South America. The fresh Incaberry fruit is a glossy orange colour, related to the tomato, eggplant and potato. This indigenous South American fruit, has been enjoyed by the Inca cultures for centuries.
As with many of the unique and delicious foods from South America, we have finally caught onto the fantastic benefits this nutrient dense berry has to offer. Our first shipment of certified Organic Dried Incaberries, from Ecuador, arrived this week at Honest to Goodness!
Why Incaberries are being called the new ‘Superfood’...
- Higher in antioxidants than goji berries, green tea & blueberries
- More than twice or triple the dietary fibre of most dried fruits
- A 50-55g serve of Incaberries has more Potassium than a banana
- A great level of Vitamin C & Phosphorus
- Higher level of protein than most dried fruits
- Low in sodium
These Organic Dried Incaberries have a unique flavour; they are deliciously sweet and leave a fantastic sour hit in your mouth! You can enjoy Incaberries as a nutritious snack on the go; however they are also really versatile to use in a variety of dishes.
This week, we were lucky enough meet the Incaberry farmer, David Bormeo from Ecuador, and hear the story behind this new and intriguing fruit being coined the newest 'Superfood.'
“Incaberries are preservative free, a whole food as nature intended and I have no doubt this will be a very popular snack and ingredient for Australians,” Mr Bormeo said.
Incaberies not only taste fantastic but this 'super-fruit' plays an important role in the highland communities of Ecuador. David’s Incaberry farm has been operating for five years, and now employs over 400 people from the local area.
As most of the exported products from Ecuador are grown in the coastal areas; Incaberries are providing the locals in the highlands an opportunity to farm and make use of their land, with now over 100 local Incaberry growers working to meet growing global demands.
Some more berry good facts...
- Incaberries are 100% organic, grown without the use of pesticides
- The Incaberries are grown in mineral rich soils, 2500m above sea level
- Incaberry farming practices are based on conservation and protection of the surrounding region
INCABERRY RECIPE & SNACK IDEAS
Our friends at Incaberries, have some fantastic Incaberry recipes and serving ideas for you to enjoy:
- A delicious & nutritious addition to any trail mix, muesli blend or snack mix!
- Add them to your smoothie for a flavorsome punch + nutrient boost!
- A fantastic substitute for sultanas, raisins, cranberries or blueberries in baking.
- Incaberries make a fantastic jam, chutney, paste...Organic Incaberry Paste recipe!
- They add some punch to any salad, side dish or would be perfect in a stuffing mixture!
- << Sticky Date & Incaberry Pudding...click here for recipe! (pictured)
Our NEW Organic Dried Incaberries are now available to shop online.