This month we are tackling the challenge of Plastic Free July! Did you know that scientists predict there will be more tonnes of plastic than tonnes of fish by 2050? And the global annual consumption of plastic bottles is set to top half a trillion by 2021?
Our mission here at Honest to Goodness is to be a sustainable business and to continually minimise our environmental impact through ethical and responsible business operations and activities. This year we are supporting Plastic Free July and hope that our customers - both individuals and businesses will too!
Plastic Free July has a particular focus on saying no to single-use plastic... But what does this mean? In simple terms it means:
- Reduce plastic use wherever possible
- Refuse single-use plastics that escape as litter (e.g. straws, takeaway cups, cutlery, shopping bags, balloons)
- Recycle or reuse what cannot be avoided (opt for items that can be refilled or used multiple times, such as reusable shopping bags)
HOW DO I GET STARTED?
Now is a great opportunity to think about where and how you are currently using plastic. Consider easy ways you can change or reduce this, such as:
- Remember to bring along your reusable shopping bags at the shops, or use a cardboard box
- Buy from shops (just like ours) that have bulk food dispensers; buy food in bulk; shop at your local farmers market
- Refuse plastic straws or BYO reusable straw
- Do not buy plastic bottled water - fill a reusable bottle from the tap
- Take your reusable coffee cup to the café; opt to sit in for a cup; make it at home or in the office
- Choose to purchase drinks in glass bottles (H2G TIP: make your own nut milk at home!)
- Use a reusable lunch box to store food; store food in containers and jars; use beeswax food wraps
- Pick up that plastic bag your blowing in the street, or any empty food containers, wrappers, straws, etc. and dispose of these thoughtfully!
TAKE ON THE PLASTIC FREE JULY CHALLENGE!
You can source ideas and services to help reduce waste from a number of websites:
- Plastic Free July – sign up to the challenge and gather great ideas
- Recycling Near You – Find out more about what your local council will recycle
- Read: "14 Items You Can Recycle – But Probably Aren’t" (Part 1 and Part 2).
- Find out which cafes near you will discount you for taking reusable coffee cups
- Looking for soft plastic recycling? Find a REDcycle pickup bin.
- Recycle your beauty products, toothbrushes, post satchels, coffee pods + more with TerraCycle
Honest to Goodness is a certified B-Corporation (B-Corp). B-Corporations represent an emerging group of companies worldwide that are using the power of business to create a positive impact on the world and generate a shared and durable prosperity for all. We're also looking at new ways of reusing and reducing plastics.
We do realise that some of our Honest to Goodness products are packaged in plastic - please be assured that there are multiple reasons for this, which we will explain in upcoming Plastic Free July blog posts over the next few weeks! We will also be presenting you with some fantastic ideas on reducing your impact, reusing, as well as sourcing products in 'plastic-free' ways...stay tuned!!