This document deals with H2G’s obligations to You under the Australian Privacy Principles about Your personal information that H2G may hold from time to time (other than for H2G’s current and former employees).
What personal information do H2G collect about You
H2G may collect the following personal information about You, including to improve Your shopping experience with H2G:
- Your name, Your address, Your telephone numbers, Your email address, credit card payment information
- What goods or services You may have purchased from H2G
- The cost of those goods or services
This is some of the information H2G collects about You:
Information You give H2G
H2G receives and stores any information You enter on H2G’s web site or give H2G in any other way. You can choose not to provide certain information, but then You might not be able to take advantage of many of H2G’s features. H2G uses the information that You provide for such purposes as responding to Your requests, fulfilling orders, customising future shopping for You, improving H2G’s store features, and communicating with You.
H2G receives and stores certain types of information whenever You interact with H2G’s website. For example, like many web sites "cookies" are used to obtain certain types of information when Your Web browser accesses H2G’s website. Cookies are alphanumeric identifier text files that are transferred to Your computer’s hard drive through Your Web browser to enable H2G’s systems to recognise Your browser and to provide features such as storage of items in Your Shopping Cart between visits.
To improve H2G’s service and Your shopping experience, H2G will sometimes send You newsletters with H2G’s special offers, new products and special events. H2G will also email to notify You of changes to H2G’s policies and for Your order confirmations. If You do not want to receive e-mails from H2G, other than order notifications and receipts including of Your order confirmations, please let H2G know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or, to unsubscribe to the newsletter, follow the link on the bottom of the newsletter.
How H2G collect Your personal information
Normally, H2G collects Your personal information only directly from You.
H2G may collect personal information about You whenever You have a dealing with H2G including if You:
- Have contact with H2G in person
- Order any of H2G’s services
- Pay an amount You owe H2G by credit card
- Correspond with H2G via telephone, facsimile, email or letter
- Subscribe (electronically or otherwise) to any of H2G’s publications
H2G may log how H2G’s Website is used. This is no different from most businesses. The information H2G logs is not linked to You personally in any way (the information is anonymous). Typically it records Your:
- Internet Service Provider
- Date and time of Your visit
- Pages accessed and the documents downloaded
- Search items entered
H2G may collect Your personal information for the following purposes of:
- Providing H2G’s goods and services to You and others
- Considering whether H2G will employ someone
- Considering whether H2G will contract someone to provide goods and services to H2G
- Receiving goods and services provided by You or Your employer
- Telling You about the goods and services H2G supplies
- Sending information to You about H2G’s business and/or the goods and services H2G supplies
- Advising You of events about H2G’s business as they happen (market changes, seminars, marketing activities)
If You don’t provide H2G with Your information, H2G may not be able to fulfil the purpose for which H2G collects the information.
How H2G stores Your information
Your personal information may be stored by H2G either in hard copy documents or as electronic data in H2G’s information technology systems.
H2G might store Your information in the following ways:
- In H2G’s physical document and record management system
- On servers under H2G’s physical control
- On servers under the physical control of other parties
- In the cloud
- Web browser storage
- Transportable electronic mediums, including an external drive or a USB
Your information is otherwise stored in a secure database, except credit information which is sent straight to H2G’s administrative computer via a process called Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption technology.
H2G uses industry standard 128 bit encryption. SSL locks all critical information passed from You to H2G, such as payment information, in an encrypted envelope, making it extremely difficult for this information to be intercepted. Credit card details are not permanently stored on H2G’s website. H2G uses 1024 bit encryption for temporary storage.
Credit card information is only accessed and processed by a member of H2G’s customer service team when required to debit Your credit card when processing Your order.
Your obligation when You provide H2G with third party information
If You or Your organisation is subject to privacy law and You provide personal information to H2G about someone, You promise H2G that:
- You are entitled to disclose that information to H2G
- H2G may collect, use and disclose that information for the purposes described in this document
How H2G uses or discloses Your personal information
H2G only uses and/or discloses Your personal information for the purpose for which H2G collect it.
H2G may also use and/or disclose personal information for purposes such as:
- reminder notices
- provision of information about market developments
- invitations to seminars and other events
- H2G’s own market research
- improving H2G’s service and communications
- advising You about other services H2G offers
- giving it to suppliers of services to H2G’s business in order that H2G can provide H2G’s services to You
- giving it to suppliers of services to H2G’s business in order that they can provide services to H2G
H2G will not disclose personal information collected by H2G to third parties for the purpose of allowing them to direct market any products and services to You.
How H2G protect and keep secure Your personal information
H2G respects Your privacy and appreciates Your business.
Only specific employees or sub-contractors in H2G’s customer care, marketing, store, warehouse systems and IT areas have access to Your personal information, and only under strict controls and procedures.
Obviously, H2G may need to share Your name and address and at times phone number with H2G’s freight carrier to ensure reliable and efficient delivery of Your orders.
If required, H2G will also share this information with organisations who carry out credit, fraud and other security checks.
At no other time does H2G ever provide Your contact details or payment information to any other third party vendor, associate or service provider.
H2G takes reasonable steps to protect from misuse and loss Your personal information that H2G holds.
H2G seeks to protect the information from unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
H2G maintains a computer and network security system.
H2G uses firewalls and other security systems in H2G’s electronic communications systems, such as user identifiers and passwords to control access to H2G’s computer network.
H2G maintains a high level of physical security over H2G’s hard copy and electronic data stores and premises, such as locks, alarms and barrier systems.
H2G’s staff are made aware of their confidentiality obligations and their limited access rights as they apply to them in respect of Your information.
Staff normally only have access to information on a need to know basis.
Is any personal information disclosed overseas
H2G discloses personal information overseas in the Philippines and India for the administrative purposes of H2G.
Gaining access to information H2G hold about You
H2G will give You access to Your personal information except if the Privacy Act does not require H2G to or where H2G has a legal duty of confidentiality or non-disclosure.
The information will be supplied within a reasonable time from the date of Your request.
H2G reserves the right to recover reasonable costs from You in giving You the access.
If H2G refuses You access to any information, H2G will give You an explanation.
Maintaining currency of Your personal information
H2G ensures that all reasonable procedures are followed so that Your personal information is accurate, complete and up to date whenever H2G collects or uses it.
If any of the personal information held by H2G about You is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date, please contact H2G immediately and H2G will take all reasonable steps to update it.
Contacting H2G including making a complaint
- want to access Your personal information
- want to lodge a complaint about any breach by H2G of Your privacy
- have a question about how Your personal information is collected, used or disclosed by H2G
please contact H2G on email@example.com
If You make a complaint
If You make a complaint to H2G about H2G’s management of Your personal information, H2G will:
- review the complaint
- seek to contact You and discuss Your complaint with You
- notify You about the outcome of H2G’s review of Your complaint and the action H2G will take
- implement any outcome arising from the complaint