ADD TO FAVOURITES LIST
Hey there, we like your taste. Please select a favourites collection
Herbs, Spices & Salt
Herbs, Spices & Salt
Spreads, Nut Butter, Honey & Tahini
½ cup organic French green lentils
2 cups homemade vegetable stock
1 organic bay leaf (optional)
1 cup organic cashews
¼ cup organic sunflower seeds
¼ cup organic pepitas
1 tbsp organic extra virgin olive oil
1 large brown onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
140g mushrooms, diced
1 tsp organic turmeric powder
¼ cup organic tomato paste
2 carrots, grated (approx 175g / 1¾ cups)
2 tbsp organic linseeds, ground up
2 tbsp organic tamari sauce
½ cup organic rolled oats*
¼ cup unhulled tahini
½ cup fresh coriander, chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
- Place the lentils in a saucepan with the stock cube and bay leaf and cover with 2 cups of water.
- Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down, cover with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the lentils are tender. Keep a close eye on the lentils so that they don't boil dry and top up with boiling water as necessary.
- Drain and reserv any leftover liquid. Remove the bay leaf and set the lentils aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 150˚C then place the cashews on an oven tray and toast for 10 minutes. Add the sunflower seeds and pepitas to the tray and toast for a further 5 minutes or until the cashews have turned golden brown. NOTE: the cashews can start off in a cold oven.
- Heat a fry pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the olive oil and onion and cook for 3-4 minutes, until the onion softens.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Add the turmeric, tomato paste, carrots and cooked lentils and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes. Add some of the reserved liquid from the lentils if the mixture becomes dry.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Mix the ground linseeds with ½ cup water (or any liquid left from cooking the lentils), then add to the mix along with the tamari, tahini, oats, coriander, pepper and toasted nuts. Mix well.
- Turn the oven up to 160˚C and line a 12x22cm loaf tin with baking paper.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and flatten the top, then bake in the middle of the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a serving dish.
* For a gluten free alternative, swap the Organic Rolled Oats for Organic Rolled-Flaked Quinoa.
- Swap ground linseed for 2 eggs and add cheese if you are not vegan.
- Other nuts can be used in place of cashews such as almonds and/or Brazil nuts
- You may use a stock cube with 2 cups of water instead of homemade vegetable stock
Cane Sugar Free
Have no questions.