The recent release of the Australian Organic Market Report 2017 has highlighted some encouraging statistics for the organic industry nationwide.
We have summarised some of the key findings from the recent report below:
- Consistent growth is a global trend for the organic industry
- More than two out of three Australian households (63%) purchased one organic product in the past year, with personal health having the strongest influence for the household buyer
- The top perceived benefits of buying organic include: chemical and additive free, environmentally friendly, free-range and non-GMO
- Production factors including origin and traceability of food are increasingly important to Australian consumers. Impacts on the environment was a key motivation for 41% of shoppers to start buying organic
- Whilst chain supermarkets remain big players in the organic space, the preferred shopping outlets for consumers is changing, which has resulted in an increase of opportunities for smaller, more focused outlets and alternative retail channels
- When consumers were asked which outlets offer the best quality of organic products, 70% had the strongest confidence in specialised organic and wholefood stores
- One of the key demographics actively incorporating organic food into their diet are Millennials/Gen Y (people aged between 18 – 29), with their preferred shopping method being online via mobile phone
- Popular organic categories include fresh fruit and veg, followed by dairy, home-cooking ingredients and eggs
- Growth of sales in organic packaged food & beverages in 2017 is predicted to be 4.3%
- The awareness of organic certification continues to increase, with two-thirds of shoppers noting that an organic certification mark increases their confidence in purchasing an authentic product. Labelling and packaging deemed the number one source for gaining product information
- The largest barriers to purchase of organic products remain value, trust and access
Honest to Goodness has been voted Australia’s Favourite Organic Brand by the public in both 2015 and 2016, and we are proud to be recognised by consumers as a trusted supplier. Contact us today about wholesale solutions for your business.
To view the report in full visit: http://austorganic.com/ao-market-report/