- To cook the rice: In a large saucepan, bring about 4 cups of water to a boil.
- Rinse the jasmine rice and add to the saucepan then cover and reduce to a simmer. After 10 minutes, add the kaffir lime leaves and coconut sugar.
- Once the rice is cooked, remove from the heat and leave covered for about 10 minutes.
- To cook the curry: Heat a tbsp of oil in a large frying pan on medium heat.
- Finely chop the onion and add to the pan. Fry for a few minutes before adding minced garlic and grated ginger. Continue to cook until fragrant and the onion is soft.
- Add the tomato puree, all the spices, salt and ghee. Stir and cook for a minute until fragrant and it resembles a paste.
- Now add the sweet potato, coconut milk and water (fill the empty tin halfway for 200ml). Stir and leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drain the chickpeas and add after 10 minutes. Leave for a further 20 minutes.
- Serve the curry and the rice in a bowl and top with fresh coriander if desired.