ADD TO FAVOURITES LIST
Hey there, we like your taste. Please select a favourites collection
1kg organic mixed dried fruit
2-3 cups brandy or rum
250g organic butter
250g organic rapadura sugar (panela)
6 organic eggs
250g organic wholewheat bakers flour
1 tsp bi-carb soda
1 cup fine wholemeal breadcrumbs (not from a packet; grate a loaf)
1 1/2 tbsp organic mixed spice
2 tbsp organic nutmeg
1/2 cup of candied orange and lemon peel (or use fresh peel)
Rum or brandy to serve
3-4 organic walnuts for garnish
- Soak dried fruit for at least 6 hours or overnight in 250ml (1 cup) of brandy.
- Brush a 2L (8 cup) capacity pudding basin with melted butter to grease. Line the base with non-stick baking paper.
- With an electric beater, cream butter and sugar in a bowl until pale & creamy.
- Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Mix in rinds, breadcrumbs, flour, spices, bi-carb soda & the dried fruit mixture. Stir well after each addition until all combined.
- Spoon mixture into basin & cover with baking paper & foil.*(See notes below)
- Place an unturned saucer into the bottom of your saucepan. Fill one-third of a saucepan with boiling water & bring to a simmer over low heat. Lower the pudding basin into the saucepan. Add enough boiling water to reach two-thirds of the way up the basin. Simmer, covered over low-medium heat for 4 hours. Add more boiling water if necessary.
- Remove basin from pan & set aside for 5 mins. Cover the pudding basin with cling wrap and foil and store away in the refrigerator.
- On Christmas Day: Reheat pudding as in step 7 for one hour over medium heat or until pudding is heated through.
TO SERVE: you can pour brandy or rum over pudding & light with a match. It is also delicious with custard, cream or ice-cream!
Have no questions.