For the pastry:
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees celcius and grease 4 pie tins with coconut oil.
- Add besan flour, almond meal and salt to a medium sized bowl. Add the coconut oil and use a fork in ‘mashing’ action until the mixture comes together to a crumbly consistency. Add the iced water and use your hands to mix and squeeze it into a sticky dough.
- Flatten the dough into an even disk and cut into 4 equal quarters. Press one quarter of the dough into each tart tin, ensuring you evenly cover the base and almost to the top of the sides. Prick a few times with a fork and pre-bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
For the filling:
- Grate the beetroot finely and add it to a small bowl with the red wine vinegar and some salt and pepper. Set aside to soak.
- Finely slice the leek and kale leaves. Fry the leek for about 10 minutes over medium heat before stirring in the kale until just wilted. Remove from the heat and place into a medium bowl to cool slightly.
- Blend the cashews, nutritional yeast, salt, lemon juice, arrowroot and water together until smooth and well combined. Pour into the bowl with the leek and kale mixture. Season to taste and stir until well combined.
- Place a tablespoon of grated beetroot into the bottom of each tart, then ladle in the cheesy kale mixture on top, distributing it evenly between the 4 tarts. Top with a sprinkling of more beetroot and the chopped hazelnuts.
- Place the tarts into the oven to bake for 25 minutes or until beginning to brown on top (you can pop them under the grill for 2 minutes at the end if they’re not browning). Serve with a seasonal salad or on their own. Enjoy!