ADD TO FAVOURITES LIST
Hey there, we like your taste. Please select a favourites collection
1 cup organic pearled barley
⅓ cup organic pine nuts
½ cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved
2 tins organic cherry tomatoes, drained and cut in half
100 grams rocket or baby spinach leaves
80 grams feta, crumbled
1 clove organic garlic, crushed
¼ cup lemon juice (juice of approx. 1 lemon) OR
¼ cup organic apple cider vinegar
¼ cup organic extra virgin olive oil
½ cup roughly chopped fresh basil, plus a few extra leaves for garnish
- Place barley in a saucepan with 1.5 L (6 cups) water, cover with a lid and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for approximately 25–40 minutes or until just tender. Drain well.
- Toast the pine nuts in a pan with a drizzle of oil for a few minutes until they become golden brown. Set aside.
- To make the DRESSING: place garlic, lemon juice and olive oil in a screw-top jar and shake well.
- Place the cooked barley in a large mixing bowl and pour over dressing, add basil and toss gently to combine.
- Add olives, tomatoes, rocket and feta cheese. Sprinkle with pine nuts just before serving.
• Use pesto in place of fresh basil in the dressing
• Use bocconcini cheese in place of feta cheese
• Add avocado or roasted capsicum
• Use spelt berries or freekah in place of barley
• For a gluten free option, replace barley with a mixture of buckwheat and quinoa
• For a vegan version, replace feta with a vegan cheese or omit altogether and add extra pine nuts
● To cook barley in the pressure cooker, add 3 cups of water to 1 cup of barley and cook under pressure for 5 minutes.
● Given that olives and feta are quite salty, there is no need to add salt to this salad.
● Barley is full of soluble fibre, which can lower your cholesterol, and resistant starch, to lower your bowel cancer risk and feed the good bacteria in your gut.
Cane Sugar Free
Have no questions.