We’re right in the heart of National Organic Week in Australia (2nd – 11th October). In spirit of this great initiative and as suppliers of organic food to you, our happy consumers, we thought we thought we’d give you a simple and comprehensive break down to reinforce why organic is the best food choice you can make when shopping for your food! A lot of people already generally know that organic means it's good – but do they all know why it is good?? Here are the basics of what you need to know.
6 Reasons to Buy Organic Food
- It’s more nutritious. Whilst there is a some debate within the scientific community as to whether overall, organic produce is more nutritious than conventionally grown produce, studies have shown that for specific products such as organic milk and organic tomatoes, the organic produce is nutritionally superior! Organic milk has more antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, CLA and vitamins, and organic tomatoes have a greater antioxidant content since nitrogen-rich chemical fertilisers are not used in the growing.
- There are no harmful pesticides used. Conventional produce is sprayed with synthetic chemicals to deter insects and protect the crops. However, this can result in chemical residue on the plant that cannot be removed, even by washing. Organic farms use more natural methods of deterring insects such as selecting disease-resistant crops, insect traps, and beneficial micro-organisms. Using no pesticides on farms is also beneficial for the health of farmworkers, for who constant exposure to chemicals can be harmful.
- There are no chemical additives. Organic produce has no artificial ingredients that are common in conventional produce. Added sugars, chemical flavourings, MSG and preservatives (including sulphur dioxide) are all absent in organic food, meaning that you know exactly what you are biting into when you choose organic food.
- Organic farms are better for the environment. Organic farms place a greater emphasis on sustainability, biodiversity and environmental health than conventional farms. Crop rotations and organic fertilisers can help combat soil erosion and enhance soil productivity, as well as leading to less groundwater pollution. Synthetic fertilisers also require large amounts of fossil fuels to produce, so going without lessens our society’s dependence on coal. Organic farms also respect the natural biodiversity of their environment, creating stable habitats for local wildlife and ensuring the genetic strength of future crops with a diverse plant gene pool.
- Animals raised for organic products are treated better. Animals raised for organic products such as meat, dairy and eggs have a much higher level of welfare than their conventional counterparts. Animals must have free access to pastures, and farms are limited to the number of animals that may live per square hectare in outdoor and indoor areas. Organically raised animals are not force fed, instead fed a healthy, organic diet. The animals are not subjected to cruel measures (such as debeaking), and animals raised for meat must be slaughtered in a fast and humane manner.
- It tastes better! The careful organic farming practices that emphasise quality over quantity, the better welfare of animals, and the lack of any filler ingredients allow the natural flavours of the food to shine through. As a result, organic produce tastes far and above more delicious than its conventional counterparts. Once you taste how amazing organic food can be, it is impossible to go back!
So now you know why to shop for organic, but how do you know it’s actually organic?
A “Certified Organic” logo guarantees the integrity of the food product so look out for it! This stamp means that the organic farmers and value-adders have been audited to comply with strict standards and have been granted organic certification. Look for the below Australian certification logo to know you are really getting what you want!
Honest to Goodness is a proud supplier of organic wholefoods in Australia. We believe in the simple ideal of taking the food that nature provides us, and passing it onto you in the way that nature intended. That's why we call this real food; it's pure, simple, and has no nasties added. Just "Real Food That Loves You Back".