- Preheat oven to 180o C and spread rinsed, dried adzuki beans onto a baking paper lined tray. Bake beans for 6 minutes. Then add pecans to the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes more. The nuts should be fragrant and golden brown (be careful not to burn), and the beans should appear dry and cracked open (this way, they do not become mushy in the burger patties). Set aside to cool. Increase oven temperature to 190o C.
- In the meantime, heat a skillet over medium/medium-low heat. Once hot, add oil and the sweet potato. Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes, turning the heat down if browning too quickly. Once browned on the underside, flip and cook for 3-4 minutes more or until tender and golden brown. Remove from the pan.
- To the still-hot pan, add the sliced mushrooms and coconut aminos and cook on medium/medium-high for about 4-5 minutes, or until they’re browned and fragrant. Set aside.
- To a food processor, add beans and pecans and blitz/pulse into a loose meal (not a powder).
- Next, add cooked sweet potato, mushrooms, half the quinoa, sea salt, chilli powder, cumin, and BBQ sauce and pulse a few times to combine (again, some texture is good here).
- Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and stir in the rest of the quinoa. Then taste and adjust flavour as needed, adding more cumin for smokiness, chilli powder for heat, BBQ sauce for sweetness/depth of flavour, or salt for saltiness. If the mixture appears too wet, add more quinoa. If it looks too dry, add more BBQ sauce (or a little coconut aminos) to moisten.
- Divide the mixture into four even balls and form into patties with your hands. Refrigerate burgers for 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, heat a pan over medium heat. Once hot, add oil and the burgers. Cook for 4-5 minutes. Then carefully flip and cook for 4-5 minutes on the other side. Then turn off the heat, glaze/brush with a bit more BBQ sauce, and transfer the pan to the oven. Bake at 190o C for 10-15 minutes more to cook through. The burgers should appear browned.
- Assemble your burger with your favourite topping and enjoy!