- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add diced onion and garlic, followed by carrot and celery. Stir to combine and cook for 3-4 minutes until translucent.
- Add all herbs and spices (and jalapeno if using) and stir to combine. Let cook for 5 more minutes until fragrant.
- Rinse and drain the black and red kidney beans. Add to the pot along with the tomato puree, diced tomatoes and stock.
- Roughly chop the sweet potato before placing in a food processor. Process until broken down into small rice sized pices. Add to the pot.
- Cook for 30 minutes or so on low-medium heat. Once liquid rises to the top, stir in the tomato paste.
- Let simmer on low heat for one hour, minimum. Keep cooking up to 3 or 4 hours for maximum flavour!
- Serve with guacamole, corn salsa and corn chips as a tasty snack. OR enjoy with a side salad for a light, casual meal.