Whether you’re dairy intolerant, vegan, or just fancy a change, nut milks make a great alternative to cow’s milk.
Making homemade nut milk from scratch is actually an incredibly easy process. With just two ingredients and a nut milk bag, you can create a naturally sweet and creamy milk that’s perfect for smoothies, granola, and more!
Follow our recipe below to make your own nut milk:
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE NUT MILK
- 1 cup organic raw nuts (Almonds, cashews, brazil nuts, hazelnuts etc.)
- 3-4 cups filtered water
- 1 Honest to Goodness Nut Milk Bag
OPTIONAL SWEETENER / FLAVOURS:
- 1-2 tbsp organic maple syrup
- 1-2 tbsp organic raw honey
- 1-2 tbsp organic brown rice syrup
- 2-3 organic Medjool dates
- 1/2 tsp organic cinnamon powder
- 2 tbsp organic cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup fresh berries
- Place the nuts in a bowl and cover with water. Leave to soak for 12-24 hours. TIP: the longer the soaking time the creamier your milk will taste.
- Drain & rinse the almonds until the water runs clear.
- Place the soaked almonds in a high-powered blender or Thermomix with the water and optional sweetener/spices.
- Blend on high for 1-2 minutes or until the nuts are completely blitzed and the mixture is creamy.
- Place your nut milk bag over a large jug or bowl, and pour in the blended almonds. Squeeze almond milk through the nut milk bag until all liquid is separated from the pulp.
- Discard the pulp or use in baking. Store your milk in the fridge for up to 5 days. Enjoy your fresh milk!
HOW TO USE THE LEFTOVER NUT MILK PULP
Do you enjoy making nut milk but aren't sure what do with the leftover pulp? It’s such a shame to toss out all that goodness, so to help you make the most of your nut milk pulp, we have created a list of our favourite ways to use it all up. From wheat-free flour, to crackers and bliss balls... the possibilities are endless! Find our list here.
Want something different? Try these other plantbased alternatives in place of nuts:
- Oat Milk: use 1 cup of organic steel-cut oats (soaked).
- Soy Milk: use 1 cup of organic soya beans (soaked)- remove outer skins before blending with water.
- Pumpkin Seed Milk: use 1 cup of organic pepitas (soaked).
- Hemp Milk: use 1/2 cup of Australian hemp seeds.
- Coconut Milk: use 2 cups of organic shredded coconut.
- Rice Milk: use 1 cup cooked organic brown rice.
- Quinoa Milk: use 1 cup cooked organic quinoa.