Whether you’re dairy intolerant, vegan, or just fancy a change, nut milks make a great alternative to cow’s milk.
Making homemade nut milk from scratch is actually an incredibly easy process. With just two ingredients and a nut milk bag, you can create a naturally sweet and creamy milk that’s perfect for smoothies, granola, and more!
Follow our recipe below to make your own nut milk:
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE NUT MILK
- 1 cup organic raw nuts (Almonds, cashews, brazil nuts, hazelnuts etc.)
- 3-4 cups filtered water
- 1 Honest to Goodness Nut Milk Bag
OPTIONAL SWEETENER / FLAVOURS:
- 1-2 tbsp organic maple syrup
- 1-2 tbsp organic raw honey
- 1-2 tbsp organic brown rice syrup
- 2-3 organic Medjool dates
- 1/2 tsp organic cinnamon powder
- 2 tbsp organic cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup fresh berries
- Place the nuts in a bowl and cover with water. Leave to soak for 12-24 hours. TIP: the longer the soaking time the creamier your milk will taste.
- Drain & rinse the almonds until the water runs clear.
- Place the soaked almonds in a high-powered blender or Thermomix with the water and optional sweetener/spices.
- Blend on high for 1-2 minutes or until the nuts are completely blitzed and the mixture is creamy.
- Place your nut milk bag over a large jug or bowl, and pour in the blended almonds. Squeeze almond milk through the nut milk bag until all liquid is separated from the pulp.
- Discard the pulp or use in baking. Store your milk in the fridge for up to 5 days. Enjoy your fresh milk!
Want something different? Try these other plantbased alternatives:
- Oat Milk: use 1 cup of organic steel-cut oats (soaked) in place of nuts.
- Soy Milk: use 1 cup of organic soya beans (soaked) in place of the nuts - remove outer skins before blending with water.
- Pumpkin Seed Milk: use 1 cup of organic pepitas (soaked) in place of nuts.
- Hemp Milk: use 1/2 cup of Australian hemp seeds in place of nuts
- Coconut Milk: use 2 cups of organic shredded coconut in place of nuts.
- Rice Milk: use 1 cup cooked organic brown rice in place of nuts.
- Quinoa Milk: use 1 cup cooked organic quinoa in place of nuts.
PULP FREE JUICES
You can use a nut milk bag to also make pulp-free juices! Simply place your fruits & vegetables into your blender or Thermomix and blend on high for 2-3mins or until everything is blitzed! Strain the juice through your nut milk bag into a jug or glass & enjoy!
Sprouts are simply germinated seeds and legumes but are amazing raw wholefood nutritional powerhouses. Use your nut milk bag to help you start growing your own sprouts! Head to our
Guide to Sprouting to get started >>