Chard, Mushroom & Rice Bake
- Add the rice, amaranth, whey and 1/2 cup water to a small bowl. Cover and leave to sit out on the bench (or in the fridge when the weather is warmer) over night or during the day.
- Because amaranth is so fine, draining the soaking liquid really doesn't work. Just place the entire contents – rice, amaranth and soaking water, in a small pot, cover and gently bring to the boil. Cook over low heat, making sure no steam escapes through the lid. Cook for 45 – 50 mins from the time it comes to the boil. Check at about 40 mins, and if you're absolutely sure there's not enough water, add a touch more. Amaranth doesn't cook pretty – it may all look a bit stodgy, but will be fine when embraced by all the other ingredients. When cooked turn into a medium size mixing bowl.
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Add the olive oil and butter to a medium frying pan with the onion and mushrooms. Cook over a medium – high heat for approx 5 mins, stirring every now and then. The mushroom should be lightly browned and there should be no liquid in the pan. Add the garlic, and stir through, cooking for another minute. Add the mushroom mix to the grains. Add the rainbow chard and 1 tablespoon water, and cook over a gentle heat, turning a few times, until it is well wilted. Give it a squeeze with some tongs, and drain off any liquid that remains. Add the chard to the mushroom and grain mix, stirring through. Leave to cool for a few minutes before adding the parmesan, ricotta and eggs. Season with salt and pepper, and stir through well.
- Place the mixture into a baking dish, patting it down. Arrange the sliced tomatoes on top and sprinkle with the pine nuts. Bake for 60 – 80 mins, or until the centre is set. It will ooze and bubble around the sides a little, this is fine, and will add to the flavour. Allow to cool a little before serving.
1/4 cup organic medium grain brown rice
1 tbsp olive oil
1 teaspoons organic amaranth
1 teaspoon whey or lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons butter or ghee
1 onion, finely sliced
150 gm mushrooms, sliced 5mm thick and roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
300g Rainbow Chard or Silverbeet, any thick stem chopped off.
1/2 cup grated parmesan or pecorino cheese
250g ricotta cheese
sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 tomato thinly sliced
1/4 cup pine nuts, roughly chopped