- Add lentils to a strainer and rinse under wanter until the water runs clear. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Wash and roughly dice sweet potato into large chunks. Place on a tray and roast in the oven for 20-30 minutes until golden brown. Prepare dahl while roasting.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the ghee, onion and garlic. Once softened, stir through the curry leaf and chilli.
- Stir in the coconut milk, water, lentils, diced tomato, curry powder, cumin, turmeric and ginger. Bring to a low simmer, stirring occasionally. If it appears to be absorbing liquid too quickly, add a little more water. Cook for 30 minutes or until lentils soften.
- Add salt and a squeeze of lemon to taste. Stir through spinach and remove from heat. The spinach will soften off the heat.
- Serve the dahl with the roasted sweet potato on top. Enjoy with with fresh lemon and naan.