- Cook the lentils: Place in a saucepan and cover generously with water.
- Bring to the boil, then turn heat down and simmer for approximately 20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, place the red onion in a medium bowl, pour over the vinegar and sprinkle a pinch of salt. Stir, then set aside to allow the onion to soften.
- Once lentils are cooked, drain well in a sieve and while still warm, add to the onion along with the olive oil, garlic and some black pepper.
- Stir to mix and leave to cool.
- Once cool, add the tomatoes and basil and gently mix together.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Pile up the lentils on a large plate to serve.
- Top with dollops of goats cheese and enjoy!