- Put yeast in large bowl. Add 1 cup hot water from the tap, stir to dissolve. Cover with tea towel.
- Let stand in warm place 5-10 min until yeast mixture is frothy. Add the rest of the water.
- Mix in eggs, honey and caraway seeds. Add oat mixture and rye flour, mix until combined. Add wholemeal flour, mix until combined.
- Add half of the plain flour, stir into a dough. Add the rest of the flour, little by little until the ball of dough no longer sticks to the bowl. Pay attention not to make it too dry. More flour can be added at the time of kneading later if needed. Cover with tea towel and let stand in warm spot to rise for about 45 minutes until doubled in size.
- Turn dough onto a clean work surface sprinkled with plain flour.
- Knead the dough until smooth. You may need to add some more flour so that it doesn’t stick to the bench.
- Divide into 5 pieces, knead and shape into loaves. Place in five loaf-tins prepared with baking paper for lining.
- Cover with tea towel, and let stand in warm place to rise 20 mins or until almost doubled in size.
- Bake in 175 degrees celsius oven for 30 minutes. Tip out onto cooling rack. The loaves freeze well.
I cut my loaves in half and take one out per day, to keep a fresh supply of soft bread at hand. Enjoy!