- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Sift flours, ginger and soda into a bowl.
- Combine butter with golden syrup and sugar in a saucepan, stir over low heat until butter is melted.
- Remove from heat, beat until smooth, cool.
- Add milk and beaten egg, add to flour mixture, beat till smooth.
- Pour into greased and greaseproof paper-lined 26cm cake tin (approximately). Bake for 1 - 1 1/4 hours.
- To make the icing...sift icing sugar into heatproof basin, add butter & lemon juice.
- Stir over hot water until icing is of spreading consistency, add 1 tsp water if necessary.
- Remove from tin and allow to cool, then spread with lemon icing.
- It's great for afternoon tea, and keeps well. Leftovers can be warmed and served with custard.
2 cups self raising flour
2 cups organic unbleached white bakers plain flour
2 tbsp ginger ground
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
4 oz butter or margarine
1 3/4 cups rapadura sugar
1 cup golden syrup
1 cup milk
1 cup of icing sugar
1 tsp butter
1 tbsp lemon juice