- Dice onion and garlic. Heat olive in a pan over medium heat. Cook onion, garlic and chilli flakes until translucent.
- Add mince to the pan, breaking up with a spatula until evenly separated. Season with salt and pepper then cook until meat has browned.
- Add diced carrot and mushrooms, stirring through for 5 minutes.
- Mix in the lentils, allowing them to stick and distribute into the mince.
- Gently pour in the tomato paste and can of tomatoes and stir through. Add water and red wine (or balsamic) to the mince and season again with salt and pepper.
- Add the remaining herbs basil, thyme and bay leaf and leave to simmer for 15-20 minutes. Once the liquid has thickened, serve hot with pasta or alternative.