- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 8x8 inch baking tin with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients together. Mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, add the wet ingredients and mix well until smooth.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, gently stirring with a wooden spoon to combine thoroughly.
- Spread the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 28 – 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 2 hours or overnight before slicing. Prepare caramel sauce once brownies have cooled.
- In a small saucepan, mix the coconut sugar, maple syrup, coconut oil and salt.
When the sugar starts to bubble, set the timer for two minutes. Stir the mixture only once or twice during these two minutes.
- Carefully stir in the coconut milk until combined and continue to heat until sauce returns to a low simmer. Simmer on low for 25-35 minutes, stirring occasionally. It will start to turn a darker amber color. NOTE: The longer you simmer it, the thicker the sauce will become when cooled.
- Once the sauce can coat the back of a wooden spoon (a thin coating), remove from heat and let it cool for at least 20 minutes.
- Remove brownies from fridge, pour half of the caramel sauce on top or keep for individual slices.