- Mix flour, yeast, sugar and oil in a stand mixer bowl. Using a dough hook attachment, mix on medium speed. Gradually add the oat milk, adding more milk as necessary until a dough is formed. Knead for a few minutes until smooth and no longer sticky.
- Cover and rest the dough for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, marinate your eggplant with soy sauce, sriracha, maple syrup, sesame oil and garlic. Stir to thoroughly combine. Heat the apple cider vinegar in a small sauce pan until it reaches a gentle boil. Turn the heat off, add the carrots and let this sit to pickle for 30 minutes.
- Spray your work surface with oil. Divide the dough into 8 equal portions. Roll each into a round ball. Flatten with your palm and then use a rolling pin to roll it into an oval shape. Fold the dough over and place on a baking paper. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Cover the dough with a tea towel and set them aside in a warm area to rise (approx. 30-60 minutes) until they double in size.
- Bring the water in your steamer to a boil. Wrap the lid of your steamer with a kitchen towel to prevent moisture dripping back on the steamed buns. Lower the heat to a gentle simmer, add the buns into the steamer and steam for 8 minutes.
- Fry off the eggplant until caramelised and golden.
- Top each bao bun with the eggplant, pickled carrots, cucumber, spring onions and sesame seeds.