- Rinse rice in a strainer until your water runs clear. Then add to a medium saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Once it boils reduce heat to low, cover and cook until water is completely absorbed – about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, add vinegar, sugar and salt to a small saucepan and heat over medium heat stirring occasionally until sugar and salt are dissolved. Place in a jar or dish and cool in the fridge until rice is ready.
- Once the rice is done, turn off the heat. While stirring with a rubber spatula or fork add the cooled vinegar mixture. Don’t pour all of the vinegar in at once or it will clump into one ball. The rice should be sticky yet dry once it’s ready. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Prep your veggies and protein choice by chopping them into thin pieces. If they’re too bulky they won’t allow the sushi to roll well.
- Now it’s time to roll. Place a sheet of nori, shiny side down, on your bamboo mat. Using your hands dipped in water (to avoid sticking), grab a small handful of sushi rice. Cover bottom three-quarters of the nori sheet with a thin layer of rice, leaving the top quarter of the nori sheet empty.
- Then, arrange a serving of your veggies and protein in a line at the bottom 3/4 of the rice closest to you.
- Start to roll the nori and rice over with your fingers, and once the filling is covered, roll over the bamboo mat, using it to mould and compress the roll. Continue until it’s all the way rolled up.
- Leave for 5 minutes to allow the sushi to set before slicing with a sharp knife.
- Enjoy with a dash of tamari or coconut aminos!