- Set the oven rack to the middle and preheat to 190°C.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and a pinch of salt and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the minced garlic and cook for another 2-4 minutes until the onions are browned.
- Add 4 cups of stock to the saucepan, cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Remove from heat and pour mixture into an oven-proof baking dish (with a lid). Stir in the rice.
- Cover the dish and bake until rice is tender and cooked through - approximately 65 to 70 minutes.
- During the last 20 minutes of baking time, prepare the mushrooms. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan. Add the sliced mushrooms with a dash of sea salt. Cook for approximately 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are softened, fragrant and have soaked up most of their own juices. Set aside until rice is ready.
- Remove the rice dish from the oven. Pour in the remaining cup of stock along with nutritional yeast, vegan butter, coconut milk and tamari. Stir vigorously for 2 to 3 minutes, until the rice is thick and creamy.
- Stir in the cooked mushrooms and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide into bowls and top with a generous sprinkling of torn, fresh oregano leaves. Enjoy!!