- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced) and line 16 muffin tins with paper cases.
- Heat sliced strawberries, 3 tbsp of sugar and a dash of water over low to medium heat in a small saucepan. Mash strawberries and allow mixture to come to the boil, stirring frequently. Allow to simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Once cool, strain mixture reserving both pulp & juice.
- Cream the butter and 200g sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the amond meal, polenta and baking powder.
- Add in 1/3 of the dry ingredients into the butter and beat until just combined. Add 1 egg and beat until combined. Repeat until all of the dry ingredients and eggs have been added.
- Stir in the strawberry pulp, then divide the batter into the tins. Bake for 20-25 minutes. A cake tester should come out clean and the edges will shrink away from the sides of the liners.
- In a small saucepan, boil the strawberry juice, lemon juice and icing sugar over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Once the icing sugar has dissolved, remove from heat and pour over the cupcakes. Allow to cool.
- Serve each cupcake with a dusting of icing sugar.