Despite its name, buckwheat contains zero wheat and is botanically a seed. It is a nutritional powerhouse with a mild nutty flavour and is highly versatile - you can use buckwheat in both sweet and savoury dishes!
Check out everything you need to know about buckwheat below:
HOW IS BUCKWHEAT GROWN?
Buckwheat is a crop native to East Asia and has been cultivated in China for more than 2000 years! This makes buckwheat an ancient 'grain' despite its recent rise to fame. Although often referred to as a grain, buckwheat, like quinoa and amaranth, is actually a seed or 'pseudo-grain'.
Buckwheats seeds (also known as 'groats') grow on small shrubs and are 3-D triangular in shape with a black hull. Hulled buckwheat has had the outer black layer removed, the resulting grain being yellowish in colour.
- Buckwheat is packed full of minerals and vitamins such as manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, niacin, zinc, folate, and vitamin B6
- Though it can be used in the same way as whole grains such as wheat and barley, buckwheat is naturally free from gluten which makes it a great substitute for people with wheat sensitivities
- Buckwheat is low GI and won't spike blood sugar levels
- Just 100g of buckwheat contains 11.7 grams of plant-based protein and 12 different amino acids
- Buckwheat is rich in dietary fibre which makes them easily digested and keeps you fuller for longer
HOW TO USE BUCKWHEAT
Buckwheat is extremely versatile and can be found in the following forms:
HOW TO COOK HULLED BUCKWHEAT:
Hulled buckwheat makes a great substitute for rice, addition to salads and can even be served as porridge.
- Before cooking, rinse under running water to remove any dirt or debris.
- Add one-part buckwheat to two parts water or broth. Bring to the boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Once all the water is absorbed, fluff with a fork and serve
Try some of these buckwheat recipes created by our foodie community!
WHERE TO BUY BUCKWHEAT?
Organic Hulled Buckwheat is available from our online shop and our Alexandria (Sydney) store in 500g, 1kg and bulk sizes. You can also find Kindred Organics Australian grown Hulled Buckwheat in a 1KG size.