- Pour lukewarm water into a bowl then add and dissolve dry yeast along with the sugar. Next, add half of the flour into the bowl, stirring, then add the salt and the oil. Continue to add flour until the mixture becomes dense enough to be worked on a wooden board.
- Knead the dough for approx. 10min adding more flour if necessary. After, let the dough rest on the board, covered with a dampened kitchen towel for a couple of hours, until it doubles in size.
- Once doubled, divide pita dough into 8 portions, depending on the size you like. Shape into balls then cover again for one hour.
- Drain jackfruit tins and set aside.
- Heat up olive oil in a medium heavy pan. Fry onion until softened, translucent and slightly caramelised. Add garlic and fry off gently until soft and fragrant. Add most of the spices: cinnamon, cumin and oregano to the onion-garlic mixture and fry them for one minute. Mix in the tomato paste along with the jackfruit, tamari, maple syrup and apple cider vinegar. Mix everything well and squash the jackfruit with your mixing spoon. Season with white pepper and ground chilli and simmer for ten minutes.
- Set oven to 200C. Spread the jackfruit mixture on a paper-lined backing tray and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the mixture is a little browned around the edges.
- Just before serving, roll out one of the pita balls and place on a hot skillet. Cooking about one minute per side. Fill with lettuce, cucumber, tomato, onion, baked jackfruit, homemade chips, tzatziki and crumbled feta.